[tz] indentation in localtime.c

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 16:46:43 UTC 2022

On 24/03/2022 22:57, Roland Illig via tz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a look at tzcode/localtime.c today, and the indentation looks like
> a mess.  It's a wild mixture between 2 spaces, 4 spaces, 1 tab, 2 tabs,
> and I couldn't see any pattern or reasonable rule set that would account
> for the whole file.

It is true that the indentation is inconsistent, although at least the
usage of tabs and spaces for indentation is correct in the sense that
there are no cases of a space followed by a tab and all the sequences of
spaces used for indentation are shorter than the tab size of 8.

> Is this apparent mess intentional?  If so, what is the history and
> rationale behind it?

I'm not sure, but from the "git blame" output, it looks like Arthur
Olson pretty much stuck with a shift width of 8 (matching the tab size),
and Paul's shift widths were a bit more variable, perhaps to fit the
code in 80 columns nicely, and also more use of lining up the parts of
expressions split across lines with the opening parentheses of the
previous lines.

> If not, who can fix this?

Perhaps the old proverb should be followed: "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it."

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-