[tz] Change IANA time zone identifier for Kyiv to Europe/Kyiv.

Luda Melnykova melnykova.luda at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:46:31 UTC 2022

Hello,

Hope this email finds you well.

I would like to raise a request for a value change in TZ DB. I believe,
that current IANA time zone identifier for Kyiv (Europe/K*ie*v) is not
fully correct.

Background of this request lies in a transliteration of a city name. *Kyiv* is
derived from the Ukrainian language name Київ, while *Kiev* is derived from
the Russian language name Киев) as the name of the Ukrainian capital.

Kyiv is already in use in international lists for IATA, ICAO and other
organizations, which follow the decision of the U.S. Board on Geographic
Names. Kyiv, as a name of Ukrainian capital, is also mentioned on time.is
site Kyiv: 19:42 (time.is) <https://time.is/Kyiv>. So, I believe, it is
fully logical to follow latest guidelines and rename IANA time zone
identifier as well.

If you are interested to learn more about it, please check out this wiki
article: KyivNotKiev - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KyivNotKiev>

Please let me know if any questions or concerns.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Liudmyla