[tz] Change some timezone names

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 25 17:27:11 UTC 2022

On 5/25/22 08:14, gusak ivanov via tz wrote:
> Can other Ukrainian timezones get the same
> treatment, and so get Europe/Uzhgorod to be changed to Europe/Uzhhorod and
> Europe/Zaporozhye to Europe/Zaporizhzhia?

TZDB uses names that most commonly appear in English, and due to
maintenance and configuration hassles we're reluctant to change
spellings unless common English usage has demonstrably changed. Although
we found good evidence for such a change in "Kiev" vs "Kyiv", it's not
yet clear whether the other names' spelling have changed in common
English usage, or if they have changed what they are changing to.

TZDB often uses common (albeit "wrong") English spellings (e.g., "Sofia"
not "Sofiya", "Prague" not "Praha") so these other Ukrainian locations
are in good company.

This issue is worth noting in NEWS as I expect others will have similar
questions. Proposed patch attached.