[tz] DST changes to Egypt's time starting from 28/April/2023

Moustafa Hammouda mharbi at redhat.com
Sun Mar 12 19:05:05 UTC 2023

Greetings,

I would like to inform you about some planned changes to the DST in Egypt
[1]. These changes were officially announced by the Egyptian government.

I'm posting this excerpt and it's translation from the official government
based newspaper (Ahram):

ووافق مجلس الوزراء خلال اجتماعه اليوم، برئاسة الدكتور مصطفى مدبولي، على عدة
> قرارات، هي:
> - وافق مجلس الوزراء على مشروع قانون في شأن عودة العمل بنظام التوقيت الصيفي
> .
> وجاء نص مشروع القانون كالتالي: "اعتباراً من الجمعة الأخيرة من شهر أبريل،
> حتى نهاية يوم الخميس الأخير من شهر أكتوبر من كل عام ميلادي، تكون الساعة
> القانونية في جمهورية مصر العربية، هي الساعة بحسب التوقيت المُتبع، مُقدمة
> بمقدار ستين دقيقة".

*Translation:*

During its meeting today, headed by Dr. Mostafa Madbouly, the Council of
Ministers approved several decisions, which are:

- The Council of Ministers approved a draft law regarding the return of the
summer time system.

The text of the draft law came as follows: “From the last Friday of April
until the end of the last Thursday of October of each Gregorian year, the
legal hour in the Arab Republic of Egypt is the hour according to the time
followed, advanced by sixty minutes.”

[1] https://gate.ahram.org.eg/News/4162139.aspx
[2] https://time.is/time_zone_news/egypt_brings_back_dst
[3] https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/dst-egypt-2023.html
[4]
https://www.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2023/03/09/fiddling-with-egypts-clocks
[5]
https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-use-daylight-saving-time-again-bid-save-energy-2023-03-01/

--

Best Regards,

Moustafa Harbi

Senior Technical Account Manager, Red Hat FZ LLC

Red Hat Middle East, Turkey & Africa <https://www.redhat.com/>

Office Park Building, Block A, Floor 4

PO Box 502579, Dubai, UAE

mharbi at redhat.com