[tz] Proposal to revert 2023b's Lebanon data changes

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Mon Mar 27 18:36:56 UTC 2023

Andrea Singletary via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> I highly recommend "recording the chaos in more detail in the data" as the approach here. The Lebanese government has clarified that for them, DST/summer time in 2023 begins on March 30, with the clocks going from 23:59:59 March 29 to 01:00:00 March 30. (No word on what this means for next year, but I digress.)

Meh.  As I understand the theory here, the intention is to record the
actual facts on the ground, that is what a person on the street would
say the time is.  Clearly, there is no single right answer to that
question in this case.  However, it's clear from the reports we saw
that the governmental decision was *very* poorly received, and it
seems plausible that the majority of the population ignored it.

My vote is to keep things simple and revert to the 2023a data.
As Deborah said, historical corrections can always be made later
if the picture about what really happened clarifies.  But we don't
need any hasty decisions right now, and changing the 2023a data
on the basis of the facts in hand sure seems hasty.

			regards, tom lane