[tz] [PROPOSED 2/2] Fix comments on Lebanon this week

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 28 08:30:33 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-27 21:55, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> Do you know if any further changes are planned for 2023c?

No further data changes are planned. That is, 2023c is planned to be the
same as 2023a, except for commentary. Before issuing 2023c I want to
wait a few more hours for responses to that idea, which was circulated
on this list.

In an attempt to see the lighter side of the situation I installed into
the development repository the attached patch to commentary. This adds
four xkcd panels to our humor section: "Good Morning"[1], "Consensus New
Year"[2], "Edge Cake"[3], and "Consensus Time"[4]. If cartoonist Randall
Munroe lurks on this list, perhaps he'll add a panel about Lebanon's
time chaos some day.

This patch also refers to Emanuele Arciuli's recent recording[5] of the
first twelve parts of The Time Curve Preludes[6], a piano cycle composed
in 1977/8 by William Duckworth[7]. I heard part of this cycle for the
first time yesterday when listening to the March 20 broadcast of Alley
Stoughton's radio show "Not Brahms and Liszt"[8] on MIT's station WMBR
88.1 FM. That broadcast recording[9] is available for the next six days
in the show's archive, if you'd like to listen too. The selection from
The Time Curve Preludes is the third piece in the show, and I found it a
welcome relief from this week's time chaos.

[1]: https://xkcd.com/673/
[2]: https://xkcd.com/2092/
[3]: https://xkcd.com/2549/
[4]: https://xkcd.com/2594/