[tz] If leap seconds go away, should TZif leap-second tables expire?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:28:00 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-29 01:16, Robert Elz wrote:

> What do you believe this field in the TZif files is useful for now?

I don't use leap second expiry myself, so I'm not the best person to ask
- which is why I posted the question. However, here's a brief summary of
what I know.

As you may recall, a few years ago the tz list was periodically asked by
downstream users to update the leap-seconds.list file, even when that
file's list of leap seconds did not change. This was because
leap-seconds.list contains a special comment line like "#@ 3928521600"
containing an expiration time, and NTPD rejects a leap-seconds.list file
with expiration time in the past. See, for example, Martin Burnicki's
2015 email here:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2015-December/023032.html

We haven't been getting reminders like this recently. I expect this is
because NTPD has declined in popularity. Although the original NTPD is
no longer maintained (see Nate Hopper's New Yorker piece a year ago
<https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-thorny-problem-of-keeping-the-internets-time>),
NTPsec <https://www.ntpsec.org/> is still alive and kicking and I think
it still reads leap-seconds.list and looks at the expiration. However, I
think many systems that formerly would have used NTPD are now using
Chrony <https://chrony-project.org/>.

Chrony does not currently read leap-seconds.list directly; instead, it
gets leap second information by setting TZ="right/UTC", which causes
most Linux implementations to consult /usr/share/zoneinfo/right/UTC,
which is a TZif file with leap seconds. Chrony then uses localtime and
mktime to infer leap seconds. Because localtime/mktime ignore leap
second expiry, Chrony cannot deduce the leap second expiration time of
the TZif file even if the TZif file contains this info.

Coincidentally, yesterday Patrick Oppenlander proposed adding a
leap-seconds.list parser to Chrony
<https://www.mail-archive.com/chrony-dev@chrony.tuxfamily.org/msg02696.html>.
Although Oppenlander's patch does not support leap second expiry, it
might be just a matter of time before it adds support for that too.

Internet RFC 8536 specifies a provision for truncating TZif files so
that timestamps after time T are not supported; this is partly to save
space when transmitting them, and partly I assume for the same reason
that leap-seconds.list has an expiration date - some TZif distributors
want to ensure their users get periodic updates. However, after RFC 8536
came out we discovered that this truncation provision in some sense
collides with leap second expiry: should a truncated table mean that
leap seconds expire too? or vice versa? That sort of thing. This is
partly why I asked the question.

Given the above, I plan to ask the chrony folks about this issue. If
they don't care about leap second expiry in TZif files it's likely
nobody else cares either.