[tz] Vadsø, Norway mayor wants 26-hour days

Peter Krefting peter at softwolves.pp.se
Sun Apr 14 10:11:51 UTC 2024

> On March 20 Wenche Pedersen, the mayor of Vadsø municipality, Norway,
> asked[1] the European Commission to issue a directive allowing Norway
> to create a separate time zone for the northern part of Norway. Days
> in the new time zone would contain 26 hours instead of the usual 24.

What seems unclear to me is whether these 26 hours are then supposed to
be shorter than the normal 24 hours, or if the day is supposed to be
extended by two hours? This far north, there is not that much difference
between day and night during the middle of summer [1] (or, for that
matter, during the middle of winter). This would introduce its own set
of problems, as how to correlate weekdays and dates between places where
days are of different lengths, but I guess that can already be an issue
in places where timezones meet today.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  [1] Which is another reason why DST makes no sense in countries like
Norway and Sweden; does it really matter whether the sun is set between
3 and 5 AM or between 2 and 4 AM?