[tz] request to update DST info for Timezone: Tehran/Iran

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 16 20:38:50 UTC 2024

On 4/15/24 11:09, Tim Hitchins via tz wrote:
> Can you clarify what you'd expect to see be different in the rules?

My guess is that Vajihe would prefer to replace Asia/Tehran's last Zone
continuation line:

   3:30  Iran  +0330/+0430

with something like the following two lines:

   3:30  Iran  +0330/+0430  2022 Sep 21 24:00
   3:30  Iran  +0330

However, because the Iran rules say that there's no DST after 2022, such
a change wouldn't affect the generated TZif files and would therefore
not affect any timestamps. In situations like these, I've generally
opted to use one line rather than two as this makes tzdata easier to
maintain. (Although in the bleeding-edge development sources the strings
"+0330/+0430" and "+0330" are simplified to "%z", the same argument
applies.)

You can see something similar with America/Sao_Paulo in the file
'southamerica'. In the development sources its last line is "-3:00
Brazil %z" even though Brazil stopped observing DST in 2019. This last
line is OK since the Brazil's Rule lines specify no DST after 2019.