[tz] Does Egypt spring forward tomorrow at 00:01 not 00:00?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 25 15:18:39 UTC 2024

Two recent news reports say that Egyptian clocks spring forward tomorrow
at 00:01, not at 00:00 as per TZDB. Both cite Law No. 24 of 2023.

Does anybody on this list have access to the text of that Egyptian law?
I am unable to find a copy of that law online;
<https://guides.loc.gov/law-egypt/legislative> points me at
<https://www.egypt.gov.eg/english/laws/default.aspx> but
www.egypt.gov.eg (41.33.95.166) is inaccessible to me (no packets seem
to get through).

I am mildly inclined to think that the distinction between 00:00 and
00:01 is being done by the news sources in question and not by the
actual law. However, if someone can get a copy of the legislation that
should be definitive.

Here are the two sources giving spring-forward and fall-back times that
differ by one minute from TZDB:

* Egypt prepares to implement daylight saving time last Friday of April,
Egypt Today, 2024-04-22
<https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/131747/Egypt-prepares-to-implement-daylight-saving-time-last-Friday-of>
"... the current time used will be advanced by sixty minutes, starting
at 12 midnight (00:01 a.m.) on Friday, April 26, until the end of the
last Thursday of October at (23:59 p.m.)."

* Belal Nawar, Daylight Savings in Egypt Starts on 26 April, Egyptian
Streets, 2024-04-25
<https://egyptianstreets.com/2024/04/25/daylight-savings-in-egypt-starts-on-26-april/>
"The clock will be advanced by sixty minutes, starting from midnight
(00:01 a.m.) on Friday 26 April, and will revert to standard time at the
end of the last Thursday of October, precisely at 11:59 p.m. (23:59 p.m.)."

I also see a couple of reports that we were one minute off in fall 2023:

* Shereif Barakat, Egypt Bids Farewell to Daylight-Saving Time Tomorrow,
Egyptian Streets, 2023-10-25
<https://egyptianstreets.com/2023/10/25/egypt-bids-farewell-to-daylight-saving-time-tomorrow/>.

* Daylight Saving Time in Egypt Will End One Minute Before October 27th
Scene Now, 2023-10-26
<https://scenenow.com/Buzz/Daylight-Saving-Time-in-Egypt-Will-End-One-Minute-Before-October-27th>.

On the other hand, other sources simply give transitions on the hour or
on the day. Examples include
<https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContentP/1/522092/Egypt/Summer-Time-vs-power-consumption-Egyptians-set-to-.aspx>
and
<https://cairoscene.com/Buzz/Daylight-Saving-Time-to-Start-in-Egypt-on-Friday-April-26th>.
In particular
<https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=34fe8046-f02b-4af1-a515-30cd9f466eb1>,
in which an Egyptian law firm summarizes Law No. 24 (issued 16 April
2023), merely gives day boundaries. So perhaps the 00:01 and 23:59
business is merely the news sources' trying to avoid confusion.