[tz] leap-seconds.list format

brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Sun Feb 11 21:45:48 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-10 18:34, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2024-02-10 16:22, brian.inglis--- via tz wrote:
>> all we can do for now with the current distribution: using https:// as you
>> suggested, sha1 check, and eyeball diff (-b) in case of site hacks.

> I guess I'm not following your point because that's clearly not all a user can
> do. A user can also check the signatures, which are made via a public key
> certificate. I know a few users do that, because I got email a while back when
> my public key expired and was renewed.

I was referring solely to the original IERS source files
leap-seconds.{[0-9]{10,},list} and all we can do for now to validate them, using
sha1 and eyeball.

We could also check that the new external time stamp file suffix agrees with the
internal "#$" line update validity NTP time stamp, and that is (normally) in the
current month January or July, and less than the "#@" line expiry NTP time
stamp, (normally) eleven months later on 28th June or December, and that date
agrees with the formatted date in the preceding "expires" comment line.

With known access to the current/previous leap-seconds.list sym-/link or
.[0-9]{9,} target, we could also check that the update validity time stamp is
(normally) between the current/previous update validity and expiry time stamps.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry