[tz] [PROPOSED] SUPPORT_C89 now defaults to 1, not 0

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Jun 8 19:53:27 UTC 2024

Paul Eggert via tz wrote in
 <20240608191819.2722277-1-eggert at cs.ucla.edu>:
 |Although POSIX requires this, I didn’t notice it until today.
 |* private.h (SUPPORT_C89): Default to 1, not 0.

Funnily my today's update of bogofilter introduced fixes for C89
compatibility, too.  He can also compile C++.  (My projects
usually are all C89 and C++ compatible, except for the big MUA
i inherited maintenance of, it will take some more years to get
there.  And the now deprecated enum1|enum2 bit mixes i use.)
On the other hand FreeBSD's "number one" dropped C89 support five
days ago, but who am i to complain?

    sys: Disable C standards prior to C99 from kernel build

    The kernel hasn't built with anything less than c99 for a long
    time. Retire support in the build for it.  In addition, retire the
    translation of c99 to -std=iso9899:1999, since all latter day C
    compilers that we support have had this for maybe 15 years or so (gcc
    since 4.5, clang since the earliest version) and it simplifies the code.

I once tried to make them avoid usage of ifuncs and such, in order
to "simply" use the tcc compiler that i like "out of the box",
but, well, maybe with a large donation it would have moved
something.

In general i think that people then work around issues in private.
You cannot change the world, anyway.  But it doesn't mean a thing.

--steffen