[tz] Why is "AEST" the abbreviation for Australia/Sydney in 1900?

brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Fri May 3 20:33:33 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-03 04:14, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Thu, 2 May 2024 at 23:25, brian.inglis--- via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>>> OK, but this wouldn't address the issue of what happens with the last zone line,
>>> as that lacks an until time. For example:
>>>
>>>    Rule Aus 1917 only - Jan 1 2:00 1:00 D
>>>    Rule Aus 1917 only - Mar 1 2:00 0    S
>>>    Zone Australia/Sydney 10:00 Aus AE%sT
>>>
>>> zic generates a TZif file where time type 0 (the time type before 1917) uses the
>>> abbreviation "AEST" - but where did that "S" come from? The documentation
>>> doesn't say. I think this is Jonathan's main point.
>>>
>>> When computing %s for timestamps that come before the earliest rule, zic uses
>>> the LETTER/S field of the earliest rule that specifies standard time. I
>>> installed the attached to try to document this.
>>
>> I would expect it to default to "S" to allow "%s" in zones without rules.
>
> Wouldn't that be wrong for several European countries using CE%sT
> where the LETTER/S for standard time is "-" and for daylight savings
> time is "S"?

There are no zones without rules in Europe data, and I never noticed that "S" is
in alternate rather than standard time periods. In French Canada, it is HNE
Normale rather than Hiver or HAE Avancée rather than Été.

As I said, the default is for zones without rules where you could assign
letters, only standard time, about 1/3 of the total, depending on what you
total, to allow "%s" in the abbreviation, which would have to default to "S".

Whereas in zones with rules you may have "D", sometimes "M" for Midsummer, and
the whole abbreviation for UK and Russia: I wondered about MSK and in Cyrillic
it appears to be MCK.
As the project and data is in English and not localized, that has to be handled
by downstreams like ICU or apps.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry