[tz] manual pages in tzdb

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Thu May 9 03:36:43 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-09 00:57:38 (+0800), Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On 2024-05-08 09:24, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> What do you think of moving the pages in the tzdb repository into
>> man/man*/ directories?  I see your repository is perfectly flat, so I
>> don't know if there are strong reasons for that, or if it's just
>> innertia.
>
> To be fair, inertia itself is a strong reason....
>
> I wouldn't mind renaming the man pages, though I'd get rid of the
> "new" prefixes while we're at it. However, I worry that other
> downstream users would be adversely affected. Perhaps others could
> chime in.

I don't mind the idea, but we (FreeBSD) would have to rework some of our
tooling.  I suspect other non-Linux distributions are similarly
affected.

Thinking out loud: would it make sense to rename the files in the Git
repository, but keep the tarballs flat?  I suspect most downstreams
consume the tarballs rather than the Git repository.

Philip