[tz] manual pages in tzdb

brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Thu May 9 18:37:56 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-08 10:57, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
> On 2024-05-08 09:24, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
>> What do you think of moving the pages in the tzdb repository into
>> man/man*/ directories?  I see your repository is perfectly flat, so I
>> don't know if there are strong reasons for that, or if it's just
>> innertia.
>
> To be fair, inertia itself is a strong reason....
>
> I wouldn't mind renaming the man pages, though I'd get rid of the "new" prefixes
> while we're at it. However, I worry that other downstream users would be
> adversely affected. Perhaps others could chime in.

Not seeing any obvious man[1358] references in Linux distro RPM specs/builds:
presumably rely on man-pages.

Gentoo reported https://bugs.gentoo.org/920035 sys-libs/timezone-data: installs
man3 manpages without corresponding libraries.

Some BSDs seem to customize utilities and man pages (or use old releases) based
on online man pages.

What about updating glibc/manual/time.texi, and are any (non-info) docs or man
pages generated from that in any distro or downstream?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry