[tz] manual pages in tzdb

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu May 9 21:30:08 UTC 2024

Alejandro Colomar wrote in
 <fphdgf464zv4spmd76h6ye6ecvfg7dwrg7gmbljosa2pp4hf7m at lloyeqqsksua>:
 |On Thu, May 09, 2024 at 10:28:23PM GMT, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> John Hawkinson via tz wrote in
 |>  <Zj0as7x9HxQcgmJ1 at louder-room.local>:
 |>|Alejandro Colomar via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote on Wed,  8 May 2024
 |>|at 12:24:40 EDT in <vexmpmalky6xddplkpr6md6b7r664gmyt3fthmmiuxnwwiw3fu at 5\
 |> I agree, he should possibly simply "git show" or "git archive" the
 |> manual files over from each commit that touched them, and then
 |> simply "git add" them in the target, which automatically gives you
 |> the diff(1) hunks.  (I do this often, even automated as part of
 |> release processes (to dedicated release branches), as it avoids
 |> any possible merge conflict.)
 |
 |But I don't just want to import the diffs or hunks with git(1).  I want
 |to actually get the original commits from TZ, and import all their
 |metadata: timestamp, author, message, ...
 |
 |It would be more or less as if the Linux man-pages was a fork of TZ; at
 |least as far as those pages are concerned.
 |
 |If I didn't explain well, I can show some example with git(1).

Well it seems to me that with some scripts this can be achieved
easily, ie

  git show COMMIT:README

gives the blob, and

  git show --no-patch [--pretty=XY] COMMIT

gives the commit object (to the given extend), which can then be
parsed and used for example to fill in the environment variables

       GIT_AUTHOR_NAME
       GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL
       GIT_AUTHOR_DATE
       GIT_COMMITTER_NAME
       GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL
       GIT_COMMITTER_DATE

for "git commit" accordingly.  There you go.

 |Have a lovely day!

All in return.

--steffen