[tz] Deprecating POSIX Zones to Links?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed May 22 03:08:24 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-21 18:22, Justin Grant via tz wrote:
> What was special about the Zones below that
> caused them to stay as Zones?
>
> EST ...

They're not equivalent to any other Zones.

> EST => Etc/GMT+5

For example, on the Ubuntu 23.10 machine I'm typing this email on:

   $ TZ=EST date; TZ=Etc/GMT+5 date
   Tue May 21 22:03:40 EST 2024
   Tue May 21 22:03:40 -05 2024

> ECMAScript's time zone enumeration API is specified to
> only return Zone names, but ECMAScript implementations in Safari and Chrome
> have long omitted the Zones above from their enumeration API because they
> create redundant and confusing results for end users. We'd like to align
> the specification to web reality, and ideally make these changes upstream
> in TZDB (if that would be welcome).

How about limiting the enumeration to Zone names mentioned in
zone1970.tab? That would exclude the troublesome names.