[UA-discuss] July OSCon in Portland - Getting UA in front of developers

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Wed Apr 15 17:21:09 UTC 2015

Developers are going to need an entirely different resource and dialog...

I mean this with kind, loving respect  -  Most of the audience at Nanog (I
am one of them) are essentially the "Security, DNS or router jedi" - the
equivalence of characters that the great Harvey Kitel plays in films, like
Mr. Wolfe or "The Cleaner" ...  They push the broom behind the parade
cleaning up what the marketing folk and developers do and stabilize things
for secure operational resilience and what not.  Totally different message
to them about UA.

The message to the developer community would be more one of awareness of
nTLDs, resources like the IANA PSL (or even the Mozilla one), and "here's
how you can best interact with a User Interface and not present errors for
valid domains", TLD handling, IDNA, and other things that they'll care
about.

Separately, on the topic of including that presentation on the
universalacceptance page - I think that presentation probably helped the
audience at nanog (I'm a member, I liked it).

The presentation gained the benefit of your narrative, and it was designed
to support the narrative rather than be a stand alone document, so someone
reading that deck without the benefit of your dialog may get lost in a sea
of insider acronyms or terminology.  I would defer to others at ICANN on
the choice to use it, though it certainly could not hurt to have more.  I'd
have it be a video with your narrative running through the deck to make
things more clear if I ran the world.

Jothan Frakes
Tel: +1.206-355-0230