[UA-discuss] CIOs Wanted

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Fri Dec 11 01:47:38 UTC 2015

Don,

I am going to throw this out there as an idea about a great way to
positively impact the UA (A= Acceptance/Awareness) with the authentic
realization that it will be both stillborn and read as sarcasm.

Just before NamesCon in January in Las Vegas is this little show called CES
- that pulls in nearly 180,000 people - with CIOs abounding.  IF ICANN
spent a teensy weensy fraction of the interest on the nTLD auction
proceeds, say, for example, they could get space that week and announce and
hold summits or workshops - and having a fairly solid presence during that
event that might attract those CIOs to have the right conversations if
aligned with some announcements and marketing.

I am partially being sarcastic because I have a suspicion that this would
be a challenge to get approval for in such a short span of time, not to
mention that it is unlikely reasonably accomplished given the many
coordination and messaging steps that would have to happen to execute on
this effectively so that it would be a wise spend.

That said, I really wonder how many folks on this list saw what I wrote and
said, 'OMG did he really say that... but WOW, You know, that is EXACTLY the
type of action we need to see', and then spent a moment envisioning such an
expenditure of resources or time, realized the likelihood was minimal, and
in a crestfallen manner resumed to look at mild volunteering efforts again.

The volunteering by so many in the community towards helping improve the
situation is impressive, and appreciated, and my note is really more one to
suggest that the path forward needs a bit of oomph so that CIOs will engage
on this topic.  Or as I playfully say, we need something to get king 'Enry
to peek up over the mutton leg they're gnawing.

I was encouraged slightly by talk of a UA hack-a-thon for example, that's
creative.  CES instead of the Marrakech meeting would be a place to hold
something like that.  Or even NamesCon.  Bring it.

Appreciating that approval for the budget to do something big at CES is not
likely, instead I'd gladly make space available during the show for a UA
(Acceptance) Hack-A-Thon.  And we could all collectively invite CIOs to
NamesCon on UA (Awareness) to learn about the new naming options.  They
just stay a couple extra days in Las Vegas.  Not a hard sell.  UA
(awareness) is one of the core principles of NamesCon already.

Any takers?

-Jothan

Jothan Frakes
Tel: +1.206-355-0230