[UA-discuss] Call for UASG letter

Cyrus Namazi cyrus.namazi at icann.org
Thu Feb 12 06:11:19 UTC 2015

Ditto. I video recorded it and will see if we can post it to icann UA page.

Cyrus

On Feb 12, 2015, at 14:06, Ram Mohan <rmohan at afilias.info<mailto:rmohan at afilias.info>> wrote:

Nice job Christian with the public forum intervention regarding the UASG effort.

Here is a transcript of what Steve Crocker, ICANN Board Chair said in response:
Yeah, thanks.  This is a great effort.  Although it is unintended, it's actually two meanings to that.  This is a very important effort, and it is extremely positive step that this has been formed.  And we're quite excited about  it.
It's been a nagging problem from the earliest days when the first new tlds that were more than three characters, although they were all in ASCII added and now we are in a more complicated world in idns.  It is also a great effort in that it will take a great amount of effort over a long period of time.  And I think we all need to understand that this is not a one-shot, get in there and fix it quickly sort of thing.  But a campaign that has to be waged continuously engaging a variety of vendors and a variety of implementers and users and enterprises, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

And so it's an important element and one that I think will take multiple parties but certainly from the ICANN perspective, we will do everything we can to foster it and support it.