[UA-discuss] [UA-International] icann IDNs

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Sun Jun 21 13:31:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

Sorry for not commenting on this thread earlier -- due to a bit of
overload, I haven't been following discussions closely.

No, they aren't defensive registrations.

ICANN is using those domain names as part of a series of experiments,
which makes use of an incredibly useful testing infrastructure built and
utilized by APNIC, that will verify the ability to look up a domain name
from millions of browsers all over the planet. A high-level description of
the experiments would be that the APNIC infrastructure uses Google
advertisements to run a bit of flash code that does a lookup for a unique
domain name within one of the icann.* domains. Over time, millions of
these experiments will be run, which should give us a baseline of how many
of the new gTLDs are blocked from resolution from an end user's
perspective. We plan on running the test periodically to see if things are
getting better/worse over time.

As such, the registrations aren't integrated into websites in a way that
anyone would normally see.

Happy to answer questions on this if anyone is curious.

Regards,
-drc
ICANN CTO