[UA-discuss] Would this be in scope or not?

Richard Merdinger rmerdinger at godaddy.com
Thu Mar 12 21:31:01 UTC 2015

I'm going to agree with Ram that the most important thing that ICANN do at present is help in the essential Universal *awareness* elements of universal acceptance as well as with facilitation with the coordinating functions. - RSM

> It's not clear to me that ICANN could drive a standard handling of
mailbox names, I think that would be quixotic.  Then again maybe tackling mailbox names isn't necessary, maybe all we really need to do is get clients to work with an expanded definition of what a mailbox name is.
(Lurking in me is the thought of "variants" and how they might cause trouble in mailbox names if there's no canonical form as defined in IDNA
2008 for domain

[[Ram]] The goal would not be for ICANN to drive either the standard or adoption. Instead, the goal would be for ICANN to help improve awareness of the problem space, and then provide a coordination function so appropriate parties can determine solution sets for the defined problems.