[UA-discuss] Alternative Lists

Dusan Stojicevic dusan at dukes.in.rs
Thu Nov 5 00:00:42 UTC 2015

Dear Michael,

The mailing list is not the resource that Your client wanted, as far as
I understood. He wanted papers, reports, how-to's, web pages, wiki...
And I am all in favor for UASG to have everything on (as much as we can
provide) different languages. Mailing list is firstly communication
tool, and I don't see this as a good resource. Yes, it can be considered
as a resource, but I have one practical question for You - did You ever
tried to find particular attachment in Mailman (ICANN use this software
for mailing lists) archive? So, I can agree on that, yes, it's a
resource (worst of all I have mentioned), but You need time (and nerves)
to search it.
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You sad - I know if I was forced to contribute in a list that was not my
mother tongue I would feel less than comfortable.
Believe me, I know the filling :)
But, it's not a case here - we are talking about UASG facilitate UA
mailing list for community in China.
I don't see the point of that - why should we do that? Where is the
benefit for us? Easy job is to create mailing list for bunch of them
from the community, why they need us?
All I can think off here, and I saw that in other regions, is that they
need third party to ORGANIZE them by creating and facilitating mailing
list. If that is the point, I am against that.
Sure, I am guessing here and I really don't know why they need us.
That's why I don't like for UASG to guess what is behind.

Regards,
Dusan

On 5.11.2015 0:00, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Sorry I could not switch on my audio promptly.  While I appreciate
> that we have a lot of real work to undertake, and that we do not want
> to get bogged down in minutiae I am concerned about the message we
> might be sending by not being receptive to these geo/linguistic
> centric lists.
>
> I based this upon a conversation I had last night with a Chinese TLD
> client where I had to use a translator to help communicate the
> complexiti es of UA in the greater context of launching their .BRAND
> TLD.  The client asked if there was any UA resources in Chinese.
> Sadly there are none.  My one colleague is translating Ashwin’s
> presentation from Dublin so he can begin to undertake their own
> internal audit of systems.
>
> I know if I was forced to contribute in a list that was not my mother
> tongue I would feel less than comfortable. I really liked the idea of
> have a liaison that could  co-habitat on both lists to ensure there
> was no fragmentation of issues.
>
> So this is what I wanted to state on the call.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Michael

---
Ova e-pošta je provjerena na viruse Avast protuvirusnim programom.