[UA-discuss] Hackathon @ ICANN55

Elaine Pruis elaine at donuts.email
Wed Nov 11 23:25:30 UTC 2015

Agree with Don, I think we should go for it.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Don Hollander <don.hollander at icann.org>
wrote:

> Here’s my take on the Hackathon idea @ ICANN55:
>
> 1) ICANN is a technology conference and there would be few technology
> conferences of its size held in the region.
> 2) I note that ICANN is generally around policies, but there are still a
> lot of geeks there
> 3) Some of the folks within ICANN see a Hackathon as an opportunity to
> raise awareness about ICT generally and provide a focal point for software
> engineers specifically in the country/region.
> 4) If this happens, there will be a lot of work to do - because few of us
> have explicit Hackathon experience, and none, I believe, will have
> Hackathon experience in Morocco.
> 5) That said, it would be a nice place to pilot such an activity - and
> possibly get some results out from it.
> 6) The next two ICANN meetings are also in what I would call developing
> ICT communities - Panama and San Juan.
>
> So, while there may be better venues for more productive results, working
> to develop a Hackathon in Morocco in conjunction with ICANN55 would be a
> good thing - for the local ICT community for sure and for UA and for the
> global geekdom.
>
> My suggestion is that we agree to proceed to the next step with the folks
> at ICANN and see what they need from us.   Is it technical skills?  Is it
> prizes?  T-Shirts?  Mentors?
>
> Your thoughts…
>
> Don
>

> On 7/11/2015, at 1:40 PM, Edmon Chung <edmon at registry.asia> wrote:
>
> IETF sounds like a more appropriate venue.
> They already do organize one:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/94/agenda.html
> Edmon

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://www.donuts.domains>
*Elaine Pruis*, Vice President, Operations
*Donuts Inc. <http://www.donuts.domains>*
10500 NE 8th Street, Suite 350, Bellevue Washington, 98004, U.S.A. |
Telephone: 509.899.3161
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>[image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>[image: Linked In]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc->