[UA-discuss] Latest Draft of UA Best Practices document

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Oct 11 16:31:28 UTC 2015

Consider http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5895 section 2

You have already covered mapping of U+3002 IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP to U+002E FULL STOP

There is also the general mapping of fullwidth and halfwidth characters to their decomposition characters

I am thinking specifically of the decomposition mapping of / U+FF0F FULLWIDTH SOLIDUS to / U+002F SOLIDUS. With the Chinese Input Methods I have used, U+FF0F is output when I hit the slash key which I believe is common practice.

So now lets see what happens with an IDN when U+FF0F is used.

http://南昌大学.中国/  (using U+002F as a terminator or as a separator with null pathname)

http://南昌大学.中国/ (using U+FF0F) produces http://www.南昌大学.xn--/-kq6ay5z/  . It has thus correctly performed the decomposition mapping but has then combined / into the TLD to produce a non existent TLD

Taking an address with a pathname part gives the same behaviour

http://www.เครื่องรัดกล่อง.ไทย/ระบบแบตเตอรี่+รุ่น+ZP+22+248.html (using U+002F as the separator)

http://www.เครื่องรัดกล่อง.xn--/++zp+22+248-r50ba1a0bnaa0nwafb1vpc9godtl0a6f5gd.html/   (using U+FF0F)

I conducted these tests using Firefox on OSX.

So, an agent should, after the above mapping treat the / as a separator and not as a component character of the TLD. I have briefly tried the above with Safari & Chrome and it appears to be a common problem.

André Schappo