[UA-discuss] Blue Coat's Web's Shadiest Neighborhoods and implications on TLD acceptance

Maxim Alzoba m.alzoba at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 20:58:50 UTC 2015

Hi Jennifer,

We might need to rise awareness in the community, that idea of filtering whole TLDs is quite contrary to the idea of open and united internet.

Sounds weird, but according to the report all customers should buy .mil domains (the safest ones) , which is impossible.
(Usually everybody looks into worst and best and pass the rest).

P.s: most probably their customers are not civilians, so such logic might make some sense for them

I tried to reach site of BlueCoat from one of my VPN servers
https://www.bluecoat.com/whos-secure/customers/major-defense-contractor

And, to my surprise
I had "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" in Chrome (no explanation at all, just refused connection)

The reason - one of GEO Locators think that 89.104.90.178 is somewhere in Iran, when in reality it is in Moscow, Russia ...
(but this issue is outside of the scope of UA group)

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,