[UA-discuss] Blue Coat's Web's Shadiest Neighborhoods and implications on TLD acceptance

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Thu Sep 17 16:11:49 UTC 2015

Jeff,

In a separate post, DomainIncite quoted Architelos numbers that are more inline with what I'd expect (see http://domainincite.com/19269-architelos-shadiest-new-gtld-is-only-10-shady), however in this context I am not sure the exact percentages matter. Unfortunately, I believe there is a perception outside the ICANN community and particularly in the security and network operational communities, that many of the new gTLDs are, to paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, wretched hives of scum and villainy. And folks are quite emotional about it.  There are numerous security/operational folks out there who suggest like Bluecoat that new TLDs should be blocked at network borders until it can be demonstrated that they aren't "shady". A quick perusal of the comments from one of the "regurgitation of a press release as reporting" references to the Bluecoat report include:

"Can confirm this. We blocked a lot of new TLDs from e-mailing us because 100% of incoming mail was, well not even spam, but fake spam (what a world we live in, eh?) pushing malware or attempting to game search engines with fake referrals."

"My spam filters are regularly catching spam with URLs in TLD's like .faith, .win, .review, .space, .date, etc. I'm pretty close to treating 100% of all these new gTLD's as spam identifiers at this point."

"Our domain has sen such an increase in the new TLD - and try as you might, so much of this "crap" (technical term for SPAM) is still getting through. Too Many TLD's means so much more work for the e-mail admin!"

"Personally I do not trust anything hosted on the new top-level domains."

"I blocked all of them in our email servers. Reason? 100% spam. Not a single valid email coming from the new domains so far. Not one."

Etc.

My group (Office of the CTO) is looking to collect data on the level of blockage as well as the situation with regards to domain name abuse in order to address reports like Bluecoat with facts, but as I suspect everyone is aware, it can be challenging to combat perception with facts when emotion is involved.

While this may be a bit outside of "universal acceptance", it could suggest new gTLD registries may want to take a more aggressive approach in relation to mitigating "domain name abuse" within their namespaces if they do not want _all_ new gTLDs to be blocked at network borders.

Regards,
-drc
(ICANN CTO, but speaking only for myself)