[UA-discuss] Language - how do you refer to non-ASCII to a non-technical audience?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Aug 4 03:05:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 04:55:53AM +0200, Dusan Stojicevic wrote:
> And finally, in broader sense - "Your local way of writing" is a set of all scripts, including ASCII which we want to exclude on the first place.

I don't know what it would mean to try to exclude ASCII from the DNS.
In a registry, I suppose you could accept only U-labels for
registration.  That wouldn't constrain subordinate names anyway.

> We need a simple term, few words, that can be understood properly by all, which doesn't mean that we need to be technically precise...

Well, it needs not to be actually wrong, too.  Domain names aren't in
a language, and the repetition of the trope that this or that domain
name is "in" some language is doing a lot of harm.  It leads people to
believe in variant systems, tests of meaningfulness of domain names,
and other fairy stories that create lots of opportunities for demands
that cannot be satisfied.  If the goal of this project is universal
acceptance, then we'd best not create conditions where we make it even
more likely people will reject these domain names.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com