[UA-discuss] Attn: Registrars, ISPs & Hosting Providers

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Tue Aug 16 04:06:17 UTC 2016

During a discussion today on creating a UA Issues Logging system, one of the question that came up was the scale of the problem.

We know for certain that UA Failure occurs.  Our testing shows that in the edge case of unicode at idn.idn <mailto:unicode at idn.idn> email addresses works less than 5% of the time.   At the other end of the scale, an ascii at 2nd.new4characterTLD works more than 90% of the time.

Toward addressing this issue, I would appreciate it if Registrars, ISPs & Hosting Providers - who are most likely to have direct engagement with registrants - could provide me - off list - some indication of their view of the scale of the problem based on evidence from your Help Desk system.

Thank you very much.

Don

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group