[UA-discuss] Review of UASG Charter

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Feb 18 02:45:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:32:19PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> I still think it's important to distinguish between EAI and addresses in "local at punycode" formats, since many email clients treat those different in various scenarios.  What would you call that format?

"Email address"?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "local@" above, so two possible
interpretations:

An address of the form [utf-8]@xn--something is just user-hostile.  In
order for the local-part to be in utf-8, the EAI extensions need to be
in place anyway; otherwise it won't work.  So refusing to handle the
IDNA server-part portion is really just poor implementation (a polite
way of saying "broken" ;-)).

If you mean the case where you have a non-EAI localpart with a
server-part that has at least one A-label, well, that's just
old-fashioned email.  It's certainly true that the target server name
is mystifying.  That is frustrating, but basically it's just an
IDNA-unaware client.  We designed IDNA the way we did precisely
because there are so many clients out there that couldn't accept
anything but LDH in a domain name slot (thats what the server-part is
-- see RFC 5890).

There are also clients -- the version of mutt I'm sending this mail
with, IIRC -- that have IDNA-awareness compiled in, and they can
display the server part as IDNA U-labels as opposed to A-labels.  So
if I registered crânkycanuck.ca (which under CIRA's rules I think I
could), you could send me mail at ajs at xn--crnkycanuck-x7a.ca and
(assuming I configured my MTA to take it) I'd see ajs at crânkycanuck.ca.
_This_ use case is definitely different to EAI, because the SMTP
extensions aren't needed.  But it's just ordinary IDNA, I think -- all
the transformations have to happen in the client at display time.  I
suppose there's an issue in that such a client might try EAI when it
attempts to send mail, and get a failure.

Best regards,

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com