[UA-discuss] Review of UASG Charter

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Feb 18 20:16:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 08:00:51PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> I refer to ASCII at xn--something

Got it.

> 1.       I send an email to a pair of recipients:  A-label at U-label and  ASCII at ASCII.
>
> a.       (The former is EAI and the latter is non-EAI).

Sorry to be a pain, but one of the things that has hurt us in i18n
discussions is terminology.  So, I want to say that differently.
Let's lay this out carefully.

Your MUA supports EAI.  Your MTA supports EAI.

You compose mail:

    To: ascii-local-part-1 at IDN-as-U-labels, ascii-local-part-2 at LDH-only-labels

> 4.       The iPhone email app does not reply to A-label at U-label – it replies to A-label at xn--something.  That just happens to be how that app is currently designed.

This, of course, is because the app doesn't support i18n in the headers at all, right?

> a.       Now my mailbox contains 2 replies.  The reply from the EAI user is to the same addresses that I originally used.  The reply from the iPhone user contains a different address than I used.

Is that true?  Your system, under hypothesis, supports EAI.  Didn't
your system convert the A-label in the server-part to a U-label?  Why
not?  (There may be a gap in the EAI protocol here; I'm not sure.)

> a.       AFAIK there is no requirement that these addresses be treated as equivalent.  Email is not DNS.

But the server-part in an EAI address is an IDNA-conformant IDN, or
else a non-IDN.  Since every A-label has exactly one U-label and
conversely, why isn't the application catching the equivalence?  It
already does IDNA.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com