[UA-discuss] Review of UASG Charter

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Feb 18 23:08:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 09:38:04PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:

> The app doesn't catch the equivalence simply because it never had to do so in the past

Well, wait: it _does_ have to now, because _ex hypothesi_ it's
EAI-aware or at least IDNA-aware.  Otherwise, you'd never have been
able to send the mail in the first place, I think.  No?

That is, the whole chain starts when someone sends a mail with

    ascii-local-part at name-with-U-label

If you get back an answer that cc:s

    ascii-local-part at name-with-A-label

your software already knows how to do IDNA, because it coped with the
U-label in the first place.  No?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com