[UA-discuss] Document Translations

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 10:01:24 UTC 2016

My thoughts are that the primary drive for UA for specific languages/script IDNs should come from those language communities. So, I consider, there is a need to get those language communities onboard with this initiative. UA document translations into the IDN languages may well encourage these language communities to become involved and champion the UA cause.

The languages/scripts encompassed by the New IDN gTLD applications are:-

German/Latin
Russian/Cyrillic
Arabic/Arabic
Chinese Simplified/Hanzi
Hindi/Devanagari
Thai/Thai
Korean/Hangeul
Japanese/Katakana,Hiragana
Hebrew/Hebrew

http://icannwiki.com/index.php/New_gTLD_IDN_Applications

Then if one includes the ccTLDs, we also have these additional language/scripts:-

Armenian/Armenian
Bengali/Bengali
Belarusian/Cyrillic
Bulgarian/Cyrillic
Chinese Traditional/Hanzi
Georgian/Georgian
Urdu/Urdu
Telugu/Telugu
Gujarati/Gujarati
Punjabi/Gurmukhi
Tamil/Tamil
Persian/Persian
Kazakh/Cyrillic
Macedonian/Cyrillic
Malay/Arabic
Mongolian/Cyrillic
Serbian/Cyrillic
Sinhala/Sinhala
Ukrainian/Cyrillic

This combined list is now too long for the short term for target translations. I suggest that the initial set of target translations should include those languages encompassed by the New IDN gTLDs.

André Schappo