[UA-discuss] good changes in google chrome

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Jul 10 10:42:16 UTC 2016

In order to whitelist IDNs in Chrome one had to add languages in it's preferences. So, for example, if one added Chinese in  Chrome preferences then a Chinese IDN would display as Chinese in the browser address bar rather than punycode i.e. it is whitelisted by adding the language in preferences.

This has changed for the better. IDNs will now, by default and without user action, display as Unicode instead of punycode.

I have not tested every language but so far in my testing IDNs are displayed in Unicode. I have tested using OSX Chrome. In order to test I removed all languages (except English) from my Chrome preferences.

I consider this significant forward progress in UA for IDNs.

Credit to catchnames on IDNForums for spotting this change http://www.idnforums.com/forums/35434-google-now-supports-idn-in-chrome.html

I wonder when this change happened?

André Schappo