[UA-discuss] Language - how do you refer to non-ASCII to a non-technical audience?

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Fri Jul 22 19:21:22 UTC 2016

I’ve been grappling with this for la very long and now find out I’m not the only one.

So, how would you simply refer to IDNs.

a) non-ASCII  - probably technically correct, but would your grandmother know what this meant?
b) non-Latin - Not even close to being correct as Latin character sets have all sorts of extra bits and bobs
c) non-English - Currently my favourite at the moment.

I’m looking for something really short.

Your thoughts?