[UA-discuss] Language - how do you refer to non-ASCII to a non-technical audience?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Jul 29 21:08:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 08:58:45PM +0000, Richard Merdinger wrote:
> Of course, my daughter would assume that “your way of writing” includes emojis ☺

Yes, that's a problem I've been worried about for some time.  More
correctly, of course, we should say "your writing system", which is
somewhat more formal.

> Point taken, but I couldn’t resist.  When I talk to people, I “colloquialize” with terms like “local character sets” or “local language.”  The problem is, when we are “technically correct,” confusion ensues.

When we're not, it also ensues, and in a dangerous way.  Indeed, the
_point_ of 2008 was to solve the problem that 2003 didn't only include
things that delivered stable identifiers.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com