[UA-discuss] Presentations from UASG Workshop - November 3, 2016

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Thu Nov 3 13:34:04 UTC 2016

Please find attached the PDF’s of the presentations given during the UASG Workshop in India.

Some key points from the meeting:

There is significant amount of work being done in terms of UA and EAI. Work in India and in China is impressive. See particularly presentations 05 & 10
The community asked to see whether IDN TLD ranking in search engine results are affected by their being IDNs and if so to see if we can determine if these are conscious or inadvertent affects.  If they are inadvertent events then we will actively reach out to Search Engines to bring the issue to their attention.
The Programming Language Review Criteria has been circulated and we are encouraging people to either respond directly or pass it to their programming teams for their consideration.
The Beta version of an Automated Evaluation Tool produced by Zensar was very well received.  (http://ua-analyser.zensar.com/web-crawler/home <http://ua-analyser.zensar.com/web-crawler/home>)  They will circulate the criteria that they’ve applied in their evaluation for comment and refinement.
Significant discussions occurred around EAI
Regrettably, we ran out of time for a substantive discussion around EAI.  I’m wondering if there would be enough interest in finding some space on Monday afternoon.   Please let me know (off list) if you’d like me to try to find some space.  (See presentations 10, 10a, 10b, & 10c)
It was heartening to hear of the launch of xgenplus’ EAI capable platform.
There needs to be discussion among practitioners on how to deal with a variety of issues, including normalisation and how to deal with delivery to non-EAI compliant mail services.
There’s an initiative to create a Good Practice Guide within the IETF structure.   We didn’t get a chance to discuss this and how it might affect the work of the UASG.   A thread in EAI mail group will be raised.
There is an issue around IDNA & Unicode.  There’s a need to create some critical mass within the IETF to move review and possible solutions forward.
Community Outreach Influencers Group to include Universities.
We didn’t get a chance to hear our usual update from ICANN IT, but their prepared slides are included.

There’s a very good presentation (14) looking at the work being done in the Arabic Script community to measure UA compliance (similar to presentation 5).   I would encourage people to review this when they get a chance.

So, in summary:
- THere’s good work happening in China, India and the Middle East
- There’s good support for the work that the UASG is doing and no suggestions that we need to alter our course
- People feel very well informed and are supportive of the work.

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group
Skype: don_hollander