[UA-discuss] Some universal acceptance problems last 15+ years...

Jiankang Yao yaojk at cnnic.cn
Thu Sep 29 02:32:29 UTC 2016

Dear Ram,

   I think that you can be titled as UA pioneer.

 Another 15+ years are needed for UA work.

Jiankang Yao

From: Ram Mohan
Date: 2016-09-29 01:50
To: UA-discuss
Subject: [UA-discuss] Some universal acceptance problems last 15+ years...
On Sep 12, 2001, I helped launch the first non 2/3 character TLD, .INFO. Many of you have heard about how we struggled to get applications, browsers, web forms and email systems to recognize the world’s first four-character TLD as a legitimate extension, including my creation of the Office of the CTO (in a 3 person startup) to get large companies to return my calls.

Well, 15+ years later, today I was on the website of the Pennsylvania state government, and filled in my email address (ending in .INFO). I hit submit, and here is the prompt that came up. I hit OK, and the site accepted my email and I moved forward with my tasks, but it’s galling that some programmer _recently_ decided that a non 2/3 character TLD based email address merited a warning message.

Goes to show how long bad habits persist. Also goes to show why the UASG’s work is important.

-Ram

Ram Mohan
Executive Vice President & CTO
Afilias |Ireland|Canada|USA|India|China
o: +1.215.706.5700 x103; m: +1.215.431.0958; f: +1.215.706.5701
Skype:gliderpilot30 |@rmohan123|www.linkedin.com/in/rmohan