[UA-discuss] 69 New Emoji Have Been Approved By Unicode - Just in case you thought this Emoji stuff was a flash in the pan 🍳💥

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Apr 3 17:40:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 04:24:36PM +0000, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:
> My opinions apply to anything outside of IDNA, not just emoji – if it’s not allowed by IETF and/or IDNA, it’s problematic.

I think you may want to spend a little more time with the Unicode
standard, because most of the reasons that the IETF "disallows"
something is because it doesn't conform to the categories useful for
identifiers.  I.e. identifiers are best composed of letters and digits
and maybe some other things (see the PRECIS framework for more
discussion), and emoji aren't any of those things.

It's not the IETF that is saying emoji make bad identifiers.  It's
Unicode.  If you want to lobby someone, go talk to them.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com