[UA-discuss] 69 New Emoji Have Been Approved By Unicode - Just in case you thought this Emoji stuff was a flash in the pan 🍳💥

Mark Svancarek marksv at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 3 19:33:00 UTC 2017

Thanks!  I'll become more informed.

-----Original Message-----
From: ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org [mailto:ua-discuss-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Sullivan
Sent: Monday, April 3, 2017 12:27 PM
To: ua-discuss at icann.org
Subject: Re: [UA-discuss] 69 New Emoji Have Been Approved By Unicode - Just in case you thought this Emoji stuff was a flash in the pan 🍳💥

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 06:59:13PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> I understand what you are saying about letters, digits and others, but I am not familiar with Unicode defining good identifiers - where is that?

http://unicode.org/reports/tr31/

As near as I can tell (but I haven't checked exhaustively), emoji are Identifier_Type Not_XID.  It's interesting because, according to Mark Davis, e.g.♠ U+2660 BLACK SPADE SUIT is legal under UTS#46 (because legal under IDNA2003).  It's an emoji because it became one when some of the symbols in Unicode 3.2 got the emoji property when later versions of Unicode came out.

Note that there definitely _are_ things disallowed by IDNA2008 that would be ok under UAX#31, because IDNA was trying to internationalize LDH and UAX#31 is more general than that.  But my reading is that
UAX#31 explicitly approves of such additional restriction.

Hope that helps,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com