[UA-discuss] Are Washington Companies Ready for the Next Billion Internet Users? | WTIA

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Fri Apr 28 18:34:30 UTC 2017

This Guest Blogpost for the Washington State Tech companies is a by product of our recent UASG Coordination Group meeting in Redmond.

We encourage UASG members to make themselves equally famous (more famous) with their local tech groups by doing something similar.

The UASG is happy to help with the words if you need it.

Don

> https://www.washingtontechnology.org/washington-companies-ready-next-billion-internet-users/ <https://www.washingtontechnology.org/washington-companies-ready-next-billion-internet-users/>
>
> Are Washington Companies Ready for the Next Billion Internet Users?
> Don Hollander <https://www.washingtontechnology.org/author/don-hollander/>April 27, 2017
>
> Washington is home to some of the world’s biggest technology companies, as well as start-ups reinventing the way we work, live, and play. While these companies are on the cutting edge of digital transformation, there is one component of their digital strategy that many have overlooked: the issue of Universal Acceptance (UA). Let me explain.
>
> Universal Acceptance (UA), Defined
>
> In recent years, the Domain Name System (DNS) has expanded dramatically, fueling increased competition, choice and innovation, and helping the Internet become truly global. There are now more than 1,200 generic top-level domains (gTLDs), many of which are longer than the traditional three-character domains (e.g. .com, .edu, and .org) or are in non-Latin based scripts – such as Arabic, Cyrillic and Hindi.
>
> The expansion allows organizations and individuals worldwide to claim a domain name that best reflects their sense of identity. While this expansion is critical in bringing the next billion people online and growing the global Internet economy, the incorporation of these new domains across the global Internet is not an entirely automatic process.
>
> Universal Acceptance is the concept that all domain names, including the newer, non-traditional ones, should be treated equally. However, many organizations and businesses have not updated their systems to accommodate the new domains, or, in other words, become UA-ready. For example, problems may arise when a user enters a domain name or related email address into an online form on a website and it is rejected. When this happens, it not only frustrates the user and reduces the opportunities for the organization to win a new customer, but it also lessens the cultural, social, and economic benefits made possible by the Internet.
>
> Benefits of UA-Readiness
>
> The Universal Acceptance Steering Group <https://uasg.tech/> (UASG), a global consortium of organizations including Washington-based Microsoft, Amazon, and domain registry company Donuts, recently commissioned an independent report <https://uasg.tech/whitepaper/> that highlights the qualitative and quantitative benefits of UA. The report conservatively estimates that there is a potential $9.8 billion annual revenue growth opportunity from both existing users using the new domain names and from new Internet users coming online through Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs). <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/idn-2012-02-25-en>
> [...]

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group
Skype: don_hollander