[UA-discuss] 04a Browsers

chaals is Chaals McCathie Nevile chaals at yandex.ru
Thu Aug 31 12:27:17 UTC 2017

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 02:18:54 +0200, Don Hollander
<don.hollander at icann.org> wrote:

> 04a – A review of popular browsers for UA Readiness – Spoiler alert –
> most are OK, but few >handle the open dot or IDNs as we expect them
> to.   Some browser developers may see this >as a feature and not a bug.

The document says there is no W3C document talking about open dot. I am
pretty sure you are right about that - in general W3C defers to IETF RFCs
for URL definitions, having abandoned its own work on them a few years ago.

The reference for Mozilla seems to have been unchanged in 8 years, which
is a long time. Do you know if anyone at Mozilla has actually looked at
the issue since then? In particular, I tried changing the settings as
described there, to allow the open dot, and it didn't.

cheers

--
Chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile
find more at http://yandex.com