[UA-discuss] Universal Acceptance now on Wikipedia...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Acceptance

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Sat Dec 30 11:18:08 UTC 2017

Really good to see UA on wikipedia. It feels like UA has made the mainstream.

2 suggestions:-

1️⃣ In the wikipedia article there are indirect references to https://uasg.tech eg https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/UASG-Report-UASG016.pdf I think there should be a direct reference to uasg home page in the wikipedia article ie https://uasg.tech

2️⃣ drop the www —  eg in the wikipedia article there is the link https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/universal-acceptance-2012-02-25-en I suggest using https://icann.org/resources/pages/universal-acceptance-2012-02-25-en instead. My experience is that the majority of people think the initial www is necessary but in the majority of web addresses the www is not necessary. My reasoning is that having the www prefix is contrary to IDNs because one then has mixed scripts in an IDN. Take Korea NIC. Their IDN is https://한국인터넷정보센터.한국<https://xn--3e0bx5euxnjje69i70af08bea817g.xn--3e0b707e> They do support https://www.한국인터넷정보센터.한국<https://www.xn--3e0bx5euxnjje69i70af08bea817g.xn--3e0b707e> but they do not make the www necessary and they do not redirect to the www form.

Now, what I have written is also contradictory because I have used https:// so that my Apple Mail App will linkify. When I put links in my webpages I would only display to users 한국인터넷정보센터.한국 My hope for the future is that linkification will become more sophisticated and be able linkify 한국인터넷정보센터.한국 without the need for www or https:// thus resulting, in this case, a fully korean hangeul domain name.

So, I suggest the working practice — when possible (which I think is most of the time), drop both the www and https:// when presenting the domain name to end users.

André Schappo