[UA-discuss] John Doe in.... Different languages

Jim Hague jim at sinodun.com
Thu Feb 2 00:32:42 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 23:23:43 GMT Don Hollander wrote:
> We’re building some documentation around EAI and creating some generic, but
> culturally local, examples of email addresses.
>
> In the US it might be something like john.doe at example.com.  In the UK it
> might be something like john.bull at example.com.  And in NZ it would be
> Joe.Bloggs at example.com

FWIW, here in the UK john.bull at example.com would get you some very strange
looks(*). We're most probably with the Kiwis with Joe (or Fred Bloggs), though
both sound somewhat antiquated and I don't think are commonly used. In fact,
thinking about it I personally would go so far as to say that these days we
don't really have any standard placeholder names, generally preferring to make
up names that sound 'normal' - see, for example, https://
personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/81/~/clear-addressing---
how-to-address-your-mail.

(Of course, having said that I promptly ran across advice on gov.uk design
guidelines https://designpatterns.hackpad.com/Knowledge-based-authentication-Nc91dMM61BZ which uses 'Joe Bloggs').

(*) For those who don't know the name, 'John Bull' is a 18th century archetype
kind of similar to Uncle Sam but without any connotation of links to
government. I rather doubt whether my kids (22 & 19) have heard the name.
--
Jim Hague
jim at sinodun.com                      Never trust a computer you can't lift.