[UA-discuss] Election update...

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Fri Feb 24 04:47:57 UTC 2017

Hello, everyone:

Congratulations, and my appreciation, for everyone standing for
leadership roles in this group.

I would like to make two observations.

On 2017-02-23 11:04, Ram Mohan wrote:
> May I suggest that we accept *all six* volunteers to the position, and
> do away with a vote? I know that I could use the help, and I also know
> that corralling the energies of these six individuals, all of whom who
> have already participated and made material contributions to the UA
> initiative, will be a worthwhile enterprise.

First, I don't know enough about the structure of UASG, and the role of
vice-chair, to know whether it is better to have three vice-chairs or
six.  I have no comment.

However, I think it is a good thing for any organisation if it can find
ways to "corral the energies" of willing volunteers without requiring
them to hold a formal position. Put the other way, it is a good thing if
the organisation doesn't expect that only those with formal positions
will do the work of the organisation. And, some responsibilities have to
fall on a small number of people, they cannot be delegated without limit.

So, an outcome where there are only three vice-chairs, but all six
candidates find a way to be corralled, seems equally good to me.

Second, if there is to be an election, there are a variety of rules for
running elections. This is something I am quite interested in. For a
group like this, my belief is that Preferential ballots, counted by a
Single Transferable Vote method
<https://www.opavote.com/methods/single-transferable-vote> would be a
good choice for electing three vice-chairs from more candidates.  (To
elect only one chair, the related Preferential ballots, counted by an
Instant Runoff Voting method
<https://www.opavote.com/methods/instant-runoff-voting> works well.)

Are there any bylaws for the running of this group? There is a UASG
charter <https://uasg.tech/uasg-charter/>, which says this:

    The Steering Group itself will be overseen by one Chair and two to
    three Vice-Chairs who will be appointed to two-year terms with the
    possibility of one reappointment so that Chairs and Vice-Chairs will
    serve for a period of no less than two years and no more than four.
    The goal of the Steering Group is primarily to oversee and
    participate in the work of the UASG. The Steering Group will also
    lead the budget process, maintain the Charter, and coordinate the
    creation and dissolution of Projects.

Again, my thanks to everyone who has stepped forward to provide leadership.
         --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953