[UA-discuss] UA for Egyptian Hieroglyph IDNs

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 15:40:08 UTC 2017

I have tried some Egyptian Hieroglyph IDNs http://egyptianhieroglyphic.com/egypt/egyptian-hieroglyphics/ with Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera and they all show punycode instead of Unicode. The Unicode form should be displayed because :-

① The Egyptian Hieroglyph Unicode characters U+13000➜1342E are PVALID https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5892
② Unicode Egyptian Hieroglyphs have the General Category Lo (Letter other) which makes them valid in IDNA2008
③ Registry Verisign offer registration of Egyptian Hieroglyph Domain Names in TLDs .com .comsec .name .net .verisign .ком .קום .कॉम .नेट .คอม .كوم .コム .大拿 .点看 .닷넷 .닷컴. There may well be other Registries which offer registration of Egyptian Hieroglyph Domain Names.

If a browser manufacturer would like a language tag for Egyptian Hieroglyphs then I think egy-Egyp would be appropriate.

I realise that Egyptian Hieroglyphs could be thought of as an exception as it is an ancient Script. Maybe browser manufacturers should handle them as an exception and explicitly display Egyptian Hieroglyphs in Unicode form as opposed to more general encompassing rules that may well result in Egyptian Hieroglyphs being displayed as punycode.

André Schappo