[UA-discuss] Computer Science/ICT/IT Curricula Internationalization

Stuart Stuple stuartst at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 29 15:00:44 UTC 2017

For any program that works with dates, time, or numbers ensure that the formatting is flexible to allow for cultural variations (3/5 being either May 3 or March 5 and 1,000.00 and 1.000,00 used for the same value in different cultures).

One of my favorite examples regarding the complexity of writing code that can be used worldwide with UI strings is the formatting of number of items. English is an oddity in that we consider zero and 2 or more to be plural but 1 to be singular (1 item, 0 items, 2 items); that rule varies quite a bit across languages. This one is a great student exercise if you give them two or three language models to write around (English and French perhaps with singugular for zero and 1 but plural otherwise).

An overall one is that all UI strings and images be kept as separate resources grouped by language and are referenced from the main code in such a way that no assumptions are made on language order.

Ideally, no assumptions are made about reading direction between left-to-right and right-to-left but realistically many programs are developed only for American (N and S) and European markets.