[UA-discuss] Resolving the Vice Chair elections situation

Jim DeLaHunt jfrom.uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Mar 9 19:02:27 UTC 2017

Ram (and Don):

On 2017-03-09 01:57, Ram Mohan wrote:
> … I suggested all 6 become Vice-Chairs by acclamation. There is rough
> consensus for this position.
>
> However, two issues give us pause:
>
> 1.Changing rules mid-stream. We had a duly constituted process through
> which we began executing elections. Changing the rules after the fact
> demonstrates the wrong approach towards governance – even though we
> are a very collegial group with a common, shared goal.
>
> 2.If everyone had known that all nominees would/could become
> Vice-Chairs, potentially **more** nominees would have volunteered.
> Changing the rules after the fact therefore potentially
> disenfranchises those folks.

I think these are very wise observations. I agree that these issues are
important, and justify holding the election.

> As a result, I am asking Don Hollander to resume the election process
> for the 3 Vice Chair positions, … Don, please let the election run
> until after the close of the ICANN58 meeting, but let the voting
> commence in the next couple of days….

I don't recall seeing any specifics about the method of casting votes or
counting votes. I'll repeat my advice from a few weeks ago:

On 2017-02-23 20:47, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> Second, if there is to be an election, there are a variety of rules
> for running elections. This is something I am quite interested in. For
> a group like this, my belief is that Preferential ballots, counted by
> a Single Transferable Vote method
> <https://www.opavote.com/methods/single-transferable-vote> would be a
> good choice for electing three vice-chairs from more candidates.  (To
> elect only one chair, the related Preferential ballots, counted by an
> Instant Runoff Voting method
> <https://www.opavote.com/methods/instant-runoff-voting> works well.)

I'm happy to assist Don with the mechanics of the elections, if he
wishes. Other groups I am in have used the OpaVote service
<https://www.opavote.com/methods/single-transferable-vote>, and it works
well.

Best regards,
        --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953