[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 13 14:14:10 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 01:22:52PM +0000, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:

> "Your requested domain name Q has been identified as one likely to cause user confusions due to its mix of characters and character sets. (See our Confusables Policy, here).   As a result, ownership of this domain name must be bundled with the following additional domain names:
> This bundle of domain names is available for the low price of $$.
> Unfortunately, we are not able to offer the domain name Q separately from this bundle. If you are not interested in this bundle, might we suggest the following alternatives:

I think most registries doing any kind of variants mostly do this sort
of thing.  The point of the klensin-idna-rfc5891bis draft is that you
_really do_ need to make such policies if you are registering names,
and that you really better understand how the various characters work.
One way to "understand" that is to use the fairly restrictive sample
LGRs that ICANN is offering.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com