[UA-discuss] FW: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Mar 13 14:21:51 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 01:40:43PM +0000, Mark Svancarek via UA-discuss wrote:
> FWIW (and to coin a phrase), I'd consider "www.TRÛMP.com" more of a "pun" than a "confusable".  It's evocative of "Trump" but is visually distinct.

But of course, you can't actually register TRÛMP.com at all, because
upper case characters are not allowed in U-labels.  So you'd have to
register trûmp.com, and any sensible Latin variant strategy would
require that the undecorated Latin characters would be variants of
decorated Latin characters.

IDNA2003 doesn't help you here, because it downcases everything as the
first part of the ToASCII part.  That case mapping is lossy, which is
the whole reason we changed it in IDNA2008.  (We didn't do IDNA2008
for fun, you know.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com